Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Pyramids of Giza

Why Egypt? You would think that the pyramids would be a good enough reason wouldn't they? They were fantastic and I was in awe of them, but they weren't the reason why I had been interested in visiting the country. My Greek teacher from year 3 onwards, was absolutely fascinated about everything Egyptian. She had a particular love of the Ancient mythology from the area. I think I learned more about Egypt than I did about Greece. She just had this way of speaking about this country she loved, so passionately that I told myself I had to go one day. I just didn't realise that 'one day' was going to be in 2006. 

I visited Egypt in December, 2006 and then again in January, 2008. I am sure I got ripped off with a tour of the pyramids, but hey, I was a tourist, I didn't mind. Others have lost a lot more money than I did. I had a tour on horseback, as they were 'out of camels'. It was not a sentence I expected to ever hear, 'Ma'am I am sorry, we have run out of camels, could I interest you in a horse?'. 

I have ridden horses many times home in Adelaide, however I fell off this particular one in the Giza Desert. I thought that was pretty cool though. I'm not sure how many others can say that. Went to get back on the horse and the saddle just rolled right around the horses belly. Apart from a little limp I had afterwards for a couple of days, it was a great trip. I have now realised, it could be the source of my back pain I have just been suffering through, but ah well, I saw the pyramids!

 Seriously, who doesn't tell someone that their hair looks like this in a photo?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...