Monday, April 29, 2013

Shizuoka Matsuri 2013

So I am finally getting around to blogging about my time in Japan. For the first two weeks I was not connected to the internet, so this was incredibly difficult, given the neighbourhood I am living in. Thankfully, my neighbour and fellow teacher, Shawna was willing to let me invade her house every couple of days to 'borrow' her internet. 

My first weekend here, was the Shizuoka Matsuri (Festival), held in the city centre. It is held in April, as this is the best time to view the sakura (Cherry Blossoms). Unfortunately, this year, by this stage, many of the blossoms were already disappearing. When they are in full bloom, they are just gorgeous.

There's a parade/procession to symbolise the shogun taking the daimyo (lords) to view the sakura at Sengen Shrine.  


Once inside, there are some beautiful places to just sit and picnic and look at the sakura. 
Once inside, there are some beautiful places to just sit and picnic and look at the sakura. 




Watch the stage performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...